The Department of Geography, established in 2014-2015, is a part of the College of Humanities Education at the University of Sulaimani. It is located in Said Sadiq and is considered one of the important departments of the university. In this department, students are trained to become geographic experts, high school teachers for the public and private schools in the region. This training includes studying geography, psychology, and education theoretically. Apart from that, due to the multidisciplinary aspect of geography, students will be able to obtain job opportunities in economics, politics, geomorphology, agriculture, and statistics. In general, the topics that are covered in this department are: Geography ( human, natural, and technological), Education, Psychology, English Language, Kurdology, History, and Environment and professional skills. For the academic year 2020-2021, the department has introduced a one-year high diploma program. Currently the department offers courses to students in all stages, including both morning and evening classes.
- Making the geography Department a developed academic center among the universities of Kurdistan.
- Working to promote student scientific skills in the designated areas of the department.
- Changing the expertise qualities of the department based on the recent developments and the market needs.
- “Conducting scientific research on the various pressing issues facing the Kurdistan Region. For instance, geographic, educational, psychological issues.
- Caring about the environment and the nature of Kurdistan and its protection.
- Serving the community by linking the departmental sciences (geographic, educational, and psychological) to the job market now and in the future.
- Training academic researchers that are able to treat various issues in the region.
- Training educational cadres to develop the educational sector of the region in general and the Sulaimani governorate in particular.
- Making use of the most recent developments in geography and promoting student scientific skills.
- Teaching students the modern methods of scientific research.
- Training skilled people to serve in the ministries of the government, such as the Ministries of Economics, Planning, Agriculture, and International Relations.
Learning Outcomes at Department:
- Graduates will be able to teach geography in high schools.
- Graduates will be able to teach the social sciences at basic schools.
- Graduates will be able to serve in other sectors such as the ministry of foreign affairs of the Iraq Republic or the office of foreign affairs of the KRG, the ecology directorate, statistics offices, and designing maps for water resources in the area.
Department Study Methods:
This department uses the Bologna Process modules of study, which are divided into two semesters per year. The lectures include theory, practice, and projects. Students will present seminars regularly, participate in scientific activities, and finally take written exams. Students will conduct research in their senior year as well.
Language used in department:
The language of instruction at the Department are Kurdish and English
Duration of Studies:
The duration of study at the department is 4 academic years, divided into 8 semesters.
Ahmed Rafiq Karim
Shad Hameed mohammed
Omed Hamabaqi Hama-ameen
Aram Dawood Abbas
Kanyaw Ibrahim Karim
Mahdi Hadi Ahmed
Rekawt Mirwais Hussain